VARA function in Excel calculates the sample variance of a supplied set of values.
- X takes each value in the set;
- X̄ is the average of the set of values;
- N is the number of values.
Syntax of VARA Function in Excel:
Where the number arguments are numeric values for which you want to calculate the sample variance.
Example of VARA Function in Excel
- Logical values, within arrays or reference arguments are counted in VARA Function where FALSE is taken as 0 and TRUE is taken as 1.
- Text values are taken as 0 in VARA Function
- Empty cells are ignored in VARA Function.
The Above example calculates the sample variance of subject scores with formula
= VARA (A2:A13)
Which results in value 1014.060606