VARPA function in Excel calculates the population variance of a supplied set of values.
Population Variance is calculated using formula
- X takes each value in the set;
- µ is the average of the set of values;
- N is the number of values.
Syntax of VARPA Function in Excel:
Where the number arguments are numeric values for which you want to calculate the population variance.
Example of VARPA Function in Excel
- Logical values, within arrays or reference arguments are counted in VARPA Function where FALSE is taken as 0 and TRUE is taken as 1.
- Text values are taken as 0 in VARPA Function
- Empty cells are ignored in VARPA Function.
The Above example calculates the sample standard deviation of subject scores with formula
= VARPA (A2:A13)
Which results in value 929.55556